The courtyard of Calle Siete Revueltas, 1 is, as in many other cases, an old house of neighbors. Its construction was probably done in the fifteenth century, being a Mudejar palace that housed a bell foundry, hence the name that has come to this day. The building came from the patronage of the Páez de Castillejo and it is documented that it was inhabited by Africans. It was the home of Pedro de Montemayor. In 1860 the Duke of Alba, Jacobo Fitz James Stuart, sells the house to Rafael Gómez Jurado and later, in 1868, the building is bought by the architect Amadeo Rodríguez with the aim of installing a flour mill. Finally, in 1980 the brotherhood “Amigos de los Patios Cordobeses” acquired the building with the firm objective of preventing these singular buildings from disappearing. Its ownership is currently maintained, carrying out small works in it. It combines its use as collective housing with the programming of cultural activities.
The House of Las Campanas has two courtyards that communicate by a cover of angrelated arch, the only thing that remains of the Mudejar palace. The first patio has large dimensions that allow the celebration of events and has plenty vegetation. It is remarkable the use of cypresses. The second patio is accessed by a large wooden door preceded by a half-point portico decorated with lobed arches and plasterwork. That’s why we could say that it looks more like the concept of a typical Cordovan patio, with blue-painted windows and pots too, which house plants such as geraniums, gypsies, begonias …
It is one of the few examples of Mudejar house, of Granada style, which are preserved in Córdoba. It is listed as a Site of Cultural Interest since 2001.
Author: Elena Chacon